Stage 4 treatment and chances?

My father was just diagnosed with Colon cancer. He is a strong 73 year old. He has two "spots" on his liver and one on his lung. The tumor is 4 cm long and apparently cannot be removed by surgery, so he is being given chemotherapy for 3 months to see how it goes. His first session was yesterday. Unfortunately, he is in Lebanon at the moment and I am in Ireland. I am trying to get out to him, but until I can I was wondering can anyone give me some sort of clue as to what these "spots" are and what canbe done to get rid of them? Is it serious, is it an early stage 4? Will a diet change help? Exercise?  My parents are so far away and I know they will sugarcoat everything, despite my 23 years, not to scare me. I need to know what's going on, so until I can get out there and ask questions myself, I am asking anyone here who has a moment to help me.   Thank you,   Flowerchild