I really need your help

Hi, my mother a normally very healthy and active 78 yr old recently went for a colonoscopy and was told she had a cancerous lesion in her colon. Last Wednesday she went in for surgery. the lesion was removed along with so many inches either side, a resection I think you call it. The surgeons also had to give her a hysterectomy and remove her spleen as both were stuck to the lining and tore. Results came back that cancer showed up in 3 of the 20 lymph nodes that were removed, the other tests were clear. I think this makes her a stage 3a. The surgeon told her that he highly recommended chemo but it is often not done to people 80 and over and she is getting up there. He told her without the chemo she would have 2 to 3 good years left. That's still hard to accept she was such a fit person (she gave up work only 18months ago) and yes she is my mum and I want her around forever. What I want to know is would her having her spleen removed make it more dangerous for her to have chemo if she decides to have it and what would your opinion be. My dad died 4 months ago after not waking from an operation. This was a terrible shock to us and now I am all that mum has left to look after her. I need help so badly. At the moment she is only just home and I am having a hard time getting fluids down her, she will be back in hospital on monday if she doesn't eat or drink more. My thoughts and very best wishes for all of you on this forum. Robyn