Lung cancer question/please help

Hi. My father has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung and lymph node cancer in June 2009. He is 52. My parents live in Russia and there he had undergone 3 courses of chemotherapy. Doctors don’t give any hopes and often would not even accept him to the hospital saying he is not going to live anyway. I live in the US, and when my husband and I visited my parents in Russia in September, my father still had strength. His legs and hands were swollen and he was coughing a lot. Since then he had his third course of chemo and now is feeling very week; no strength in his legs and arms (they are still swollen). He forces himself to eat hoping to get strength and survive. His coughing decreased, but from time to time he complains on shortage in breathing, and his blood pressure is not stable. The doctors are unapproachable and already have given up on him long time ago. My family does not know what to do and what to expect. If anyone can suggest or share anything I would greatly appreciate. Thanks. Ruzana